Monday 30 April 2012

Day 6 - Time for blood, very nauseated

I woke up at 6am, and shortly afterwards, hit with a major tummy ache.  Tried to go to the loo, and managed to pass a few narrow bits of mucousy/liquidy stool after about 30 minutes, even though I felt like I could definitely pass a lot more.  Attempted to go one more time after another bout of aching 10 minutes later, and only passed a very tiny bit of mucous, which I guess was enough to make the pain subside.

As I got ready to go for my blood test, I started feeling an intense sensation of nausea, and dry heaved a little around 7am.  I had a granola bar, along with some 175mg dosage of Azathioprine, and was determined to leave home for the hospital at 7:15, but the feeling of nausea made me extra sluggish and feeling tired.  I managed to get my stuff together, and head out of the flat at 7:20am, and made it to the hospital at 7:35am.  

I was shocked at just how long the line was for blood tests, as usually in the morning, my testing is done within 5 minutes.  Got my ticket, which made me number 43 in line.  Got to have my test done an hour later, but just before, I had more bouts of nausea and aching.  When my ticket was called out, I got to my booth, and my Phlebotomy guy recognised my surname because my dad had been in hospital.  He asked about him, and I had to break the news to him that he had passed away a month ago, and he showed a real flash of surprise before apologising.  My dad was well known in the hospital, as he had been in and out for years for dialysis, and other illnesses, but historically, my dad was a senior nurse for nearly half his life. 

I had 2 vials of blood taken, and left very quickly after, managed to catch the 9am train, and still have a really upset stomach, but now with acidic burps.  I begin wondering if it is because I haven't eaten enough in the morning to compensate for the drugs.  On the way into the office, I pick up a Sprite in the hopes it'll help calm my stomach, and arrive just a little after 9:30am.  I find grapes on the desk beside mine, and immediately begin working through these, which somehow helps a little...

I also managed to have a banana which exacerbated my indigestion.  At lunch time, I went out and grabbed a roast chicken and mustard coleslaw sandwich which felt good, and a little 'cooling' on my stomach.  Around the 14:30pm mark, the nausea had subsided quite a bit.  I had a tiny chunk of home made rocky road, and a small thorntons chocolate.  Upon arriving home around 17:40pm, the nausea started bubbling up inside me again.  I had the last bits of the left over mixed grill, and some chocolate buttons.  I then had a small glass of milk.  I decided to take an early night as I was feeling shattered, so tried to use the loo for a number 2 to no avail, and then fell asleep reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo close to 21:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment